Friday 18th October 2019
- Red Bull Switch Up will take place 23rd November at Manchester’s EventCity
- Red Bull Switch Up is a unique 4 VS 4 netball tournament played on half a court
- Last year saw participation tickets sell out and 72 teams from across the UK battle against each other for the crown
- Interest in Netball amongst both men and women is expanding rapidly. Last year saw 6.1 million of UK adults follow or attend last summer’s Netball World Cup (YouGov)
- The last years have seen a ‘boom’ in the participation of Netball within the UK with a 44% increase in participation at grass roots level (BBC Sport)
- Teams can enter at Redbull.co.uk/switchup to take part.
Red Bull Switch Up breaks from netball tradition, with a unique set of rules designed to provide the ultimate test of versatility. Teams of four players per side compete for two five-minute halves on a half-court with just one goal. With new set positions – and everyone able to shoot – the game champions the best ‘all round player.’ There will be two scoring zones, goals scored inside the D will score one point and outside the D will score three points.
Following record-breaking viewership for the Netball World Cup last summer, 4.8 million people agreed that the tournament helped raise the profile of women’s sports in the UK (YouGov). Red Bull Switch Up is now aiming to continue the buzz and excitement that surrounds the growth of the sport.
Speaking of netball in the UK, ex-England player, Tamsin Greenway said, “after a massive year for netball it’s great to see tournaments such as Red Bull Switch Up continuing that hype and passion for the sport here in the UK. The best thing about Red Bull Switch Up is that its fully inclusive and it’ll be great to see women of all levels supporting one another but also inspiring others to get involved. It’s a fantastic way to champion the growing talent we have here in the UK and to allow for players to really get the recognition they deserve.”
Last year, Red Bull Switch Up took place in London’s Copper Box with the Mixed Nets dominating the tournament and being crowned champions. Speaking after their win last year, captain Jen Walsh said: “The girls shot brilliantly. We kept up the defensive pressure and it just went in our favour. As reigning champions, I think we’ll have to come back next year to defend our title.”
Now in its fourth year, there is availability for 100 all-female teams to enter the Red Bull Switch Up event and showcase their skills at one of the country’s best sporting facilities. Entry will cost £90 per team (maximum six players) with 2x sets of bibs and a match ball included.
To enter a team for this year’s Red Bull Netball Switch Up go to RedBull.com/switchup
Watch the 2019 teaser video: https://bulldrive.redbull.com/dl/xNv9gkjTF6