The shortlists have been revealed ahead of the eagerly anticipated 2021 EFL Awards, taking place on Thursday 29 April and broadcast live from 7:30pm on Sky Sports Football.
The 2021 EFL Awards celebrates and recognises the continued efforts and achievements of Clubs, players and individuals during what has been an incredibly challenging season for everyone.
The Sky Bet Championship’s Player of the Season shortlist features two of Norwich City’s promotion-winning side, with Teemu Pukki and Emi Buendia chosen alongside the division’s top goalscorer, Brentford’s Ivan Toney.
Two ever present players central to Daniel Farke’s entertaining brand of football, Pukki’s goals have once again fired the Club to success as he looks to win this award for a second time after collecting the prize in 2019, while Buendia’s all-round brilliance has captivated supporters across the division, especially those in yellow.
Pukki currently sits in second place at the top of the goalscoring charts on 25 goals, whilst Buendia has 28 goal contributions to his name, including a division-high 15 assists.
Standing in the Canaries’ way of claiming the award is a man who has taken the art of goalscoring and made it look relatively simple. After joining Brentford in the summer as a replacement for the outgoing Ollie Watkins, Toney has registered a quite incredible 29 goals and 10 assists in his debut Championship season.
In Sky Bet League One, the honour of being named the best player in the division has been whittled down to three players crucial to their sides’ chances of promotion to the Championship. Hull City’s George Honeyman has led by example, becoming one of the best creative forces in English football, as the Tigers look to finish the season as League One champions following confirmation of their promotion to the Championship at the weekend.
The top two goalscorers in the division complete the shortlist, with Sunderland AFC’s Charlie Wyke and Peterborough United’s Jonson Clarke-Harris enjoying stellar campaigns. Between them they have registered 54 league goals so far and will be eyeing up a few more before the season ends.
The shortlist for the League Two Player of the Season features a Cambridge United-double, as Paul Mullin and Wes Hoolahan join Forest Green Rovers’ Jamille Matt on the list. Mullin’s 29 league goals have catapulted the U’s into title-winning contention, while Hoolahan continues to show that age is just a number, turning out consistently influential performances at the tender age of 38 years.
Rovers’ Jamille Matt has registered 16 goals so far this campaign with his side currently occupying one of the Play-Off positions.
The EA Sports Young Player of the Season shortlist consists of Blackburn Rovers’ Harvey Elliott, Reading’s Michael Olise and Max Aarons of Norwich City. As sponsor of the award, EA Sports will be hosting an online vote, which goes live on Wednesday 28 April, equating to 25% of the overall result, with the other 75% made up of votes from the EFL Awards judging panel.
Nominations were debated at length by an expert judging panel earlier this month, with votes also compiled for the Championship, League One and League Two Teams of the Season which will be announced live on the night.
Other awards to be announced on the night include the Your Move Community Club of the Year and PFA Player in the Community.
The Sir Tom Finney Award and Contribution to League Football Award, alongside the Screwfix Moment of the Season, will be announced on the night, as will the 2021 Mitre Goal of the Season.
Winners will be announced live at the EFL Awards on Sky Sports Football on Thursday 29 April.